Friends of KEXP
Seattle , WA
Application Deadline: Monday, Jun 05, 2023
Position Summary: The Account Executive, Underwriting & Business Support is responsible for soliciting and obtaining underwriting, sponsorship, advertising, and other revenue from businesses and organizations in support of KEXP and its programs. Augmenting a wide portfolio of diverse accounts, this position leverages KEXP inventories and alignment; driving new revenue through collaboration and innovation relative to opportunity. This position is a member of and contributes to the success of the Business Support team, providing vital revenue to support KEXP programs, within the context and culture of philanthropy.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Produces sales and manages relationships for KEXP Business Support clients, including large and small independent businesses as well as advertising/marketing firms.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with assigned accounts; consults with clients to develop underwriting and advertising proposals and other opportunities for KEXP support.
- Achieves sales goals as set by Director of Strategic Relations & Business Development.
- Discovers and interprets prospective and current client business objectives, marketing strategies, community relations, activities, goals, and other priorities.
- Analyzes and thoroughly understands audience and market research; uses such knowledge and metrics to best identify prospective clients, seek an appropriate match between prospective clients and KEXP audience, and to best support existing clients.
- Diligently seeks, solicits, and cultivates new and prospective clients through cold calling, direct face-to-face contact, and sustained relationships throughout the business community.
- Negotiates underwriting and advertising packages, pricing, terms, and on-air (radio) copy that conforms to FCC regulations, as well as KEXP policies.
- Prepares and writes copy and manages other creative assets; works with peers and manager to ensure compliance with FCC and other regulations and policies.
- Works collaboratively across KEXP teams, including Traffic, Events, and Programing, to support revenue generation and client stewardship.
- Reviews and approves monthly client billing, tracks aging, and pursues payment collection.
- Represents KEXP and clients at station events and other community functions.
- Engages the community at large; attends occasional community meetings or other functions as appropriate to support client cultivation and stewardship.
- Assists with other organizational activities as directed.
Organizational & Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Maintains thorough understanding of KEXP organizational policies, including employee handbook; follows policies and leads by example.
- Actively participates in our culture of philanthropy, which honors the important role our donors, volunteers, business and community partners play in the life of KEXP. Collaborates across teams and departments to steward donors on behalf of KEXP and actively seeks opportunities to integrate philanthropy into their role within KEXP operations, programs, and projects.
Supervision Received: Position reports directly to the Director of Strategic Relations & Business Development.
Supervision Exercised: Directly supervises any Business Support volunteers and interns as appropriate.
Other Position Qualifications:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Smartsheet, CRM, and other software and tools relevant to sales and business.
- Outstanding attention to detail, committed work ethic, and strong sense of accountability.
- Excellent sales, presentation, interpersonal, relationship-building, and communication skills – both written and verbal – which transcend diverse audiences.
- Strong self-motivation, in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines.
- Commitment to navigating the challenges and tension between the sales dynamic and racial equity objectives relating to distribution of and access to resources.
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Experience building community and conducting outreach on behalf of an organization.
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on under-invited communities, either through lived experience and/or training and education.
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality and a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and in teams, as well as provide consistent, high-quality service to a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor while working in a fast-paced environment of constant demands and frequent interruptions and noise.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Appreciation for and understanding of KEXP programming and its mission.
- Access to transportation and ability to meet in person with clients is required.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, including occasional evenings or weekends as required.
Physical Requirements: Long periods of being in a stationary position; operating a computer and other office equipment; frequently moving to/from various work areas; frequently communicating by phone and email; frequently remaining in a stationary position during meetings, discerning meeting content, expressing oneself, and exchanging accurate information; frequently moving to/from off-site meeting and/or event locations; occasionally moves supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: Primary location in typical business office environment, with frequent meetings and event attendance at a variety of off-site locations.
Compensation & Benefits: This full-time, exempt position includes an annual salary of $60,000 – 70,000 with additional incentive pay potential of $25,000 per year based on achievement of revenue goals. KEXP also offers a generous benefits package which includes medical/dental/vision coverage (premiums 90-100% employer paid), retirement plan with matching, vacation starting at three weeks per year plus holidays and sick leave, and much more.
KEXP is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and empowering workplace. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables KEXP to better meet our mission and serve music-loving communities around the world. We recognize that opportunities in radio and other creative industries have historically excluded and continue to disproportionately exclude Black and Indigenous people, people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people. We strongly encourage individuals with these identities to apply.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to apply. If you experience technical difficulties with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Position closes June 5, 2023.
For additional information about this position, please contact: