Application Deadline: Friday, Dec 15, 2023
Duties and Responsibilities
30% Reporting, editing, writing
- Identify, investigate and understand news that affects the lives of residents of the Four States residents, in addition to scheduling and conducting interviews for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Write, proofread, correct and edit daily news and feature scripts to ensure they are concise while providing the correct amount of information so that the listener is well informed.
25% Live hosting, voice tracking
- Write, organize, coordinate and plan live newscasts, show segment forward promotion, feature intros and underwriting reads.
- Understand and host in an NPR style of public ratio, in addition to keeping a calm on-air demeanor regardless of the new circumstances.
- Prepare, write, edit and host recorded, voice tracked news headlines and weather when needed.
10% Membership drives
- Attend, participate, and provide ideas and feedback during station membership drive meetings.
- Plan, coordinate and anchor live breaks with a guest during twice annual membership drives.
10% Digital Platforms
- Use NPR’s Studio/Grove software suite including how to create, edit and publish stores on KRPS.org.
- Update the KRPS homepage with current local and statewide news stories.
- Coordinate Kansas and Missouri news and weather resources; record and edit afternoon news headlines and publish to the NPR One app via FTP in a timely manner.
10% Mix promos, monitor programming, assist with automation and operations
- Locate audio file promos on the KRPS server and copy to audio editing software, determine correct pre-recorded audio tag, and mix to correct length and upload to the station’s audio server.
- Navigate Enco audio library, retrieve 6 pm weekday playlist to determine that program files are correct.
- Ensure correct Enco Dropbox is functioning properly, and master control board sliders are in the proper position to ensure seamless automated playback.
10% Serve as back-up Morning Edition or Weekend Host
- Prepare and host Morning Edition/Weekend Edition Saturday/Weekend Edition Sunday clocks with live top of the hour newscast, forward promotion, underwriting and show promos.
- Determine correct pace, tone and delivery for weekday and weekend morning news audiences.
- Work independently in the pre-dawn hours where problem solving, strict time management and planning are necessary.
5% Other Duties As Assigned
Education and Experience
Required Education and Experience at Hire
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- 2 years of experience live-hosting and interviewing
- Demonstrated experience of journalism ethics and AP style
Preferred Education Experience
- Experience operating an audio board.
- Experience participating in professional journalism groups, including those focused on public radio
- Experienced in live pitching during public radio membership campaigns
Screening Services (Background Checks): Your employment with Pittsburg State University is contingent on a satisfactory criminal background check.
Job Type: Unclassified
Appointment Duration: 12 months
Work Schedule: Full Time – Monday through Friday, Business Hours 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m (on air shift included)
Application Documents Required*:
- Cover letter
- Names and Contact Details for Two (2) Professional References
- 3-5 minutes hosting & interview soundcheck
*Consolidate documents into a maximum of 2 to upload.
Open Until Filled
Search Committee Chair: Fred Fletcher-Fierro III (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position
PSU will only accept applications submitted through this process.
Pittsburg State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action and Veterans Preference employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.