Application Deadline: Friday, Oct 01, 2021
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
This position, reporting to the Executive Producer of The Pulse, must be a digital native who excels at social media and editing for web, editing audio, booking interviews and assisting in the logistics of a health and science vertical that produces both for radio and web.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist executive production, host and managing editor with planning weekly content flow
- Book guests for interviews
- Edit/produce up to four audio and web stories a week
- Manage The Pulse’s digital presence on social media and the Web
- Research and pitch segment ideas
- Assist in making photo and video assignments for Web stories
- Schedule studio time in-house and arrange ISDNs and tape synchs, when needed
- Help manage content partnerships
- Gather filed audio, when needed
- Transcribe audio interviews into web text
- Serve as field producer for H&S reporters, when needed
- Assist executive producer with promotional event planning
- Understand and represent the core values of WHYY to the public
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance
- Perform other duties as assigned
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fill in for Managing Editor on vacations and as needed
Education: Ability to express ideas using verbal construction and bachelor’s degree is required. Hands-on experience in audio editing and gathering field audio. A broad interest in cultural, political and artistic activities is required.
Experience: Two years of experience producing and editing radio content. Experience in producing weekly content is a plus.
Technical Skills: The person must be able to edit and mix audio using audio editing software. The person must have a strong familiarity with major social media platforms, especially Twitter, and must have the ability to use these platforms effectively to promote the program. Must be able to use basic web content management system. Must be able to set up and use simple spreadsheets.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring