Application Deadline: Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB’s careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
OPB is seeking to hire a Chief Maintenance Engineer to lead the technical efforts of all the broadcast distribution on the West side of the Cascades, covering territory from Tillamook to Gold Beach along the coast and up through Roseburg, Eugene and Corvallis. In this position you will support OPB’s mission by keeping our infrastructure running, enabling our content creators to keep our audience informed and entertained 24/7.
You’ll supervise a team of two Maintenance Engineers, one of whom will work in the same office and the other in Eugene. You will also have the opportunity to learn from and connect with peers who are also Chief Engineers for other regions. The ideal candidate will enjoy mentoring staff and sharing knowledge. This is a hands-on position where you’ll provide support to Maintenance Engineers in the field. We’re looking for someone who is committed to continuous improvement and standardization, and values safety in the workplace.
Now for the perks! We’re setting up an 8,000 square foot warehouse to house our offices and store our vehicles and gadgets. We are currently modernizing all of our TV transmitters and microwave STL technology, as well as deploying a VPN mesh network that allows us to administer sites remotely. Given the nature of the work, you will also do some traveling and get to enjoy beautiful drives where you can take in the views of remote mountaintops and the rugged Oregon coast. If you are a skilled engineer with a passion for broadcasting and leading others to do great work, we want to hear from you!
This position provides the leadership and technical ability to keep OPB broadcast operations in the Western region running smoothly. Works in conjunction with Senior Director of Technology to ensure smooth coordination between the Western Region and other work groups; also works with Chief Technology Officer, Technology Operations Manager, and other Chief Engineers to ensure smooth communication and standardization within the department. Manages a Field Engineer to form a productive team dedicated to the achievement of OPB’s goals. Serves as FCC-designated Chief Operator for transmitter sites in the Western region.
- Supervises one Field Engineer and spends about 25% of their time in that capacity.
- As a supervisor, they plan, assign, and approve work; respond to grievances; discipline/reward; recommend hiring; hire; recommend salary adjustments; and prepare and sign performance reviews.
- Plans and manages various technology programs related to RF Services in the Western Region.
- 50% – Technical: Maintains a good working knowledge of RF and distribution networks. Travels to remote sites for routine or emergency maintenance. Develops appropriate routine and preventative maintenance programs. Researches new technologies as they may apply to the Engineering Department and their advantages to OPB. Recommends, plans, designs and implements technical and equipment changes as appropriate to maintain OPB’s technical leadership. Actively participates in hard and soft skill enhancement opportunities. Functions as a resource and liaison between Engineering and other departments.
- 25% – Administration: Oversees procurement of equipment. Gathers data to be used in reports and as indicators. Creates budgets and timelines on all technical projects. Sets goals, timelines, milestones and follows progress of each project. Develops and manages operational budget. Assists the Department Head.
- 25% – Supervision: Supervises, schedules and reviews Western region Engineer to ensure coordinated efforts regarding maintenance activities, personnel and day-to-day activities, including equipment maintenance.
This position is based in OPB’s Tangent, OR facility. Working conditions vary widely, ranging from the office environment to arduous travel, and significant activity outdoors at various transmission sites. The position may be required to work varying shifts, including evenings, weekends, and holidays. May be required to be on-call to respond to technical and production emergencies.
Travel and work at remote sites will require the operation of 4-wheel drive vehicles and tracked snow vehicles. May also need to perform in the field, basic emergency mechanical repairs. Exposure to very high voltages and RF non-ionizing radiation is possible at most sites. The work may require challenging physical activity, including lifting up to 50 pounds and moving up to 75 pounds, working in inclement weather, walking or hiking around 2 miles (possibly in snowshoes), and possible tower climbing.
- Minimum of five (5) years combined broadcast experience, maintenance, and supervisory experience.
- Experience in high power RF, microwave and fiber distribution, and remote site management
- Experience with planning, technical design, construction, maintenance, and operation of a wide variety of RF systems, including transmitters, microwave systems and fiber distribution network.
- Experience with IP-based networking, VPN, and Windows OS management.
- Strong demonstrated experience leading a team, and willingness to lead diverse team.
- Extensive technical skill, specifically regarding the transmission and distribution of microwave, television, and radio signals.
- Must be a creative and visionary thinker with the ability to translate ideas into action.
- Ability to explain highly complex technical projects in easy-to-understand terms to non-technical colleagues.
- Strong supervisory, management and interpersonal skills, including the ability to guide others through difficult, high stress equipment operations and maintenance.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally with stakeholders across the organization.
- Demonstrated experience effectively managing complex projects, large budgets, setting and accomplishing goals while managing dynamic priorities.
- Experience operating 4WD off-road vehicles, including knowledge of safe operation on unimproved, muddy, or snowy roads.
- Knowledge of outdoor safety and best practices when working in challenging remote conditions, including cold weather survival and wilderness first aid.
- Skilled at providing customer service to a wide variety of colleagues, stakeholders, contractors, etc.
- Self-motivated with the ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Understanding of federal regulations governing television and radio broadcasting.
- Ability to foster a strategic mindset amongst the team with the ability to drive both strategic and tactical efforts as necessary.
- Ability to champion collaborative efforts, anticipating the impact of problems and providing options for contingency solutions in relation to business and service needs.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Ten (10) years combined broadcast experience, education, maintenance and supervisory experience.
- Experience maintaining AM radio transmission systems.
- Demonstrated skill and successful experience in change management, including creating efficiencies, and implementing new and emerging technologies, including new/revised work processes.
- Experience operating tracked vehicles and other heavy equipment.
- Tower climbing experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- This position reports to the Senior Director of Technology and is benefits eligible.
- The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $95,000 and $105,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license and will requires consent to OPB conducting a driving record check. Employees will not be allowed to use a company or personal vehicle for work purposes without completion and satisfactory results of this check.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB’s careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
This position is open until filled.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.