Application Deadline: Friday, Sep 22, 2023
Job Opening for KGNU Community Development Director
Job Title: Community Development Director
Reports to: Station Manager
Full Time: 40hrs/wk
Salary Range: $60,000 – $70,000
Benefits: Health Insurance, HRA, POP, and optional benefits
Based in Boulder/Denver, CO
KGNU Community Radio seeks a COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (CDD) to sustain and build upon a strong financial structure that will fuel our organization as guided by KGNU Strategic Plans. The Community Development Director is a key member of the leadership team and works closely with and will report to the Station Manager.
The ideal candidate for the Community Development Director position is personable and approaches fundraising with a great attitude, has a proven commitment and successful track record fundraising for non-profits, a passion for community radio and independent media and the ability to plan, execute, coordinate, and evaluate a diverse and dynamic fundraising strategy to bring KGNU firmly into the future.
The KGNU Community Development Director will provide overall direction, coordination, and implementation of the organization’s fundraising operations, and must display a strong commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging. This position may be required to supervise staff, consultants, and volunteers who work on fundraising, marketing, and giving programs.
The Community Development Director is charged with the responsibility of organizing and managing activities related to the analysis, planning, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of fundraising activities to successfully sustain, innovate, market, promote, and grow KGNU’s fundraising programs that will include but not be limited to government and foundation grants, on-line giving campaigns, major donor cultivation and gifts, annual and planned giving, underwriting, and special events.
Core Duties include but may NOT be limited to:
Fundraising Strategy and Implementation
- Sustaining and growing a diversified fundraising strategy, with assistance from the Station Manager.
- Assisting the Station Manager with identifying and developing opportunities for future revenue growth, and in identifying future funding needs and sustainable strategies to address these needs.
- Facilitate an active fundraising role for and establish goals for members of the Board of Directors.
- Identify opportunities for special fundraising campaigns; coordinate and delegate tasks to implement them.
- Sustaining and growing annual GOS and project grant revenue by maintaining the grant cycle calendar and meeting established goals.
- Developing and submitting grant proposals and grant reports to foundations, corporations, and government agencies consistent with KGNU’s mission.
- Implementing a comprehensive and robust major donor plan fully integrated with a “Moves” Management process.
- Soliciting and securing contributions through planned gifts (bequeaths, trusts, donations of land or other real property, annuities, stocks).
Business / Underwriting
- Supervising KGNU Underwriting Managers, tracking sales, and growing the underwriting schedule to increase revenues.
- Creating, maintaining, and cultivating fruitful relationships with businesses, organizations, and foundations.
- Implementing a plan to secure business sponsorship for annual signature events and fund drives.
- Soliciting in-kind donations from businesses and corporate matching grants.
- Leading online digital fundraising and marketing communications campaigns, including the digital newsletter, social media fundraising campaigns, and copy for on-air fundraising campaigns.
- Producing annual report
- Developing and supervising public engagement activities that promote and advance key fundraising/development goals
Leadership & Management
- Documenting and tracking (in Salesforce) all fundraising activities and providing comprehensive monthly activity reports to the Station Manager.
- Working with and managing staff members and committees to ensure that all fundraising is consistent with the overall mission, philosophy, and strategic plan of KGNU.
- Guiding the Board of Directors, Development Committee, and or Capital Expansion Campaign Committee in their role to assist in fundraising action plans, through committee participation as designated by the Station Manager.
- A minimum of three years experience as a successful fundraiser for a non-profit organization.
- Superb written, verbal, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to effectively function in a collaborative manner with staff, board, multiple committees, and a diverse volunteer and donor community to create and maintain a harmonious work environment.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement multiple projects, set deadlines, evaluate progress, and ensure accountability.
- Proven success in fundraising, particularly in grant writing and major donor solicitation and cultivation.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and develop relationships with prospective donors
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends, and to occasionally travel locally as needed.
- Experience with marketing (print, online, & social media), public relations, event management, and grant sourcing.
- Highly proficient with GSuite (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.), Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and Database management
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of online Grant Portals.
- Online fundraising campaign experience (crowdsourcing, CMS donor portal usage, social media fundraising campaigns)
- An innovative strategic thinker with demonstrated success in the creation and implementation of development plans and strategies.
- Knowledge of current trends in charitable giving in the areas of fundraising events, capital campaigns, major gifts, or planned giving. (Preference for experience in the Colorado grants and charitable giving landscape.)
- Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy, and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
- Independent Media, Community Radio, and/or non-profit arts experience.
- Prior experience and knowledge with Salesforce, MemSys, Wealth Engine (or similar) Membership Management systems
- Established relationships with foundations, businesses, and philanthropists in the Boulder/Denver Community
- Demonstrated experience in marketing and fundraising experience with social media, MailChimp (digital Newsletter campaigns)
- Basic audio, photo, and multimedia editing experience
- Basic graphic design skills and experience with (Canva, Photoshop, or similar)
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS: This is a Full-Time,FLSA Exempt position based in Boulder, Colorado with offices in both our Boulder and Denver facilities with the opportunity for a hybrid schedule. Salary range is $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 / yr. commensurate to experience. KGNU offers a generous PTO plan in addition to 11 paid holidays, with an employee health insurance contribution plan, an annual HRA plan, a Pre-Tax Cafeteria plan, and optional family health, dental, and accident plans.
KGNU is committed to diversity, equity, inclusiveness, and belonging.
KGNU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In its activities and operations, KGNU is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin (ancestry), culture, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, economic status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. These activities and operations include but are not limited to, hiring and terminating staff, recruiting and retaining volunteers, sourcing vendors, providing services and programming, training leaders, and welcoming and sustaining members. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our board, staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, listener-members, and individuals who receive our services. We strongly encourage applications from people of all genders, people of color, and people with disabilities.
READ CAREFULLY AS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS CAN NOT BE CONSIDERED:
TO APPLY, Please submit:
- your complete resume
- maximum 2-page cover letter addressing:
- How you are qualified to perform the core duties expected of the Development Director.
- Your vision for strengthening KGNU through development and fundraising.
- How you heard about KGNU.
- Where you heard about this job opportunity.
All applications should be emailedto the KGNU Development Director Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE TO APPLY: September 22, 2023
ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL UPON SUBMISSION OF THEIR APPLICATION.
KGNU is a 45-year-old non-profit, listener-supported community radio station. Launched in Boulder, Colorado at 88.5 FM in 1978, we expanded in 2004 to include Denver at 1390 AM. We now serve a potential listening audience of nearly 3 million people. Combining eclectic and diverse music from around the corner and around the world, with news and public affairs programming produced locally, nationally, and internationally. KGNU’s mission is to provide a forum for historically underrepresented voices, as well as to amplify community voices, culture, and music not likely to be heard in the mainstream media.
For additional information about this position, please contact:
KGNU Dev Director Search Committee3034494885