Community Engagement Specialist – Education
Indianapolis , IN
Application Deadline: Friday, Apr 07, 2023
This position is for an inclusive and collaborative person who will be part of the WFYI Content team and supports WFYI’s Community Engagement goals. We desire to engage deeply with the community to inform content creation, including education reporting. You’ll gather feedback on issues of deep concern, share that with journalists and other content team members, and develop tools, resources and distribution paths so that the community has the ability to improve outcomes, especially in the way it interacts with and is impacted by public education. You’ll work closely with issues outlined by WFYI’s education reporting desk and other content priorities, and you’ll also discover voices and viewpoints we should know about. And, you’ll form partnerships and work in collaboration with other public education and community organizations to engage with community members about PreK-12 public education throughout Indiana.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Seek, respond to, coordinate and facilitate Pre-K-12 education-related opportunities for listening and conversations, in person and virtually, to inform reporting and content creation
- Convene and participate in education-related community meetings and events to build relationships and support partnerships, to understand work occurring in the community, and to build audience awareness
- With oversight from Community Engagement leadership and working closely with the Managing Editor, Education, help set direction for education reporting, while implementing tactics, data tracking, and grant deliverables
- Collaborate on the creation of tools, resources, events, and other strategies to more deeply inform the community about Pre-K –12 public education needs
- Participate on the Community Engagement team to help develop overall station engagement strategy and build relationships, including fostering meaningful local, community and state partnerships to inform content creation and support audience growth
- Listen with intention to identify ways in which WFYI may utilize its resources in order give voice to underserved communities, build awareness, and deepen understanding of common themes
- Assist the Volunteer Manager in developing opportunities for service within the reporting initiative
- Participate in station marketing, development, governance, and event activities
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- College degree and at least two years’ experience in a non-profit, collaborative environment.
- Excellent written, oral, and team communication skills, including attention to detail.
- Adept in social media and web skills. Possess strong computer skills, including Office, Excel, and web-based interactive software and applications.
- Flexibility of schedule required, as position entails some travel throughout Indiana and some evening and weekend meetings and/or partnership events.
- Aptitude for identifying and working collaboratively with community partners to discover, understand, and address community needs and aspirations.
- Ability to participate in multiple projects and partnerships in a changing environment.
- Possess initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- High energy and passion for WFYI Public Media mission and core values of: Operating with unquestionable integrity; collaborating with each other and with community partners; respecting everyone; serving with humility; embracing change; delivering excellence every day.
- Background in public education, social sciences, or social work.