Application Deadline: Friday, Sep 29, 2023
Daily News Reporter/Producer
KERA is hiring a Daily News Reporter/Producer to cover daily news and general assignment topics with a primarily digital focus, while also contributing to our on-air radio presence. This is a multifaceted position that will play a critical role in our goal to be in-the-moment each day with news and information that is relevant and timely for our North Texas audiences.
WHO WE ARE:
KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT, WRR and KERA Arts. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for trusted educational programming and initiatives, community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
The Daily News Reporter/Producer is a key role in expanding our daily news footprint across platforms. We’re looking for a strong digital journalist who’s also comfortable recording radio interviews and going live on air. On-air experience and audio editing capabilities are not a requirement for this job, but the ideal candidate will have experience in those areas or a strong desire to learn.
This person will help lead our breaking news coverage, working directly with reporters in the field to quickly publish stories and information relevant to North Texans. The ideal candidate is a passionate journalist comfortable digging through court documents, public records, developing sources and reporting on big stories across multiple topics affecting all of Texas — all while remaining firmly rooted in the ethics and standards of rigorous fact-based journalism.
The position is based in North Texas, with statewide and national reach: KERA leads The Texas Newsroom – a landmark regional news hub of public radio stations across the state and NPR.
This is an FLSA classified non-exempt, full-time position and is eligible for overtime. The position directly reports to the Managing Editor, Daily News.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Write, voice and produce engaging stories for digital and radio platforms from sources, primary documents, data and analysis. Find creative ways to report on news that touches our North Texas communities, with an emphasis on quick-turn reporting delivered with the context and creativity public radio is known for. The goal: high impact with deep substance.
- Develop distinctive digital and audio stories focused in the KERA listening area in North Texas, with statewide and national context and impact.
- Think creatively with the digital audience team about the best ways to present, publish and tell these stories and engage audiences with the content.
- Use social media as a news-gathering tool, to help shape and promote coverage and build our audience and relationships.
- Collaborate proactively with The Texas Newsroom, Fort Worth Report and other local, regional and national partnerships.
- Engage with the public and participate in digital and in-person events.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive culture in the newsroom, contribute compelling story ideas and experiment with innovative storytelling techniques.
- Participate in fundraising and engagement activities as assigned.
- Participate in training opportunities in the newsroom, KERA, The Texas Newsroom, etc.
As a KERA Employee:
- Be an active participant in KERA’s work towards equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
- Work in a manner that is consistent with KERA’s mission, vision and values; and maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
This list of job duties is not exhaustive and is subject to regular reviews and updates.
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL:
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you don’t meet every job qualification but have some of these skills and think you’re the right person for the job, we’d like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- A minimum of 3 years in journalism or relevant experience.
- Proven ability to quickly write, voice and produce radio and/or digital stories.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about public media journalism and serving diverse North Texas audiences
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in reporting and sourcing.
- Solid knowledge of Associated Press style, ability to exercise sound news judgment and follow KERA/NPR ethics and editorial standards.
BONUS IF YOU BRING:
- Proven background in digital-first reporting.
- Experience with one or more of the following: audio production; multimedia production, particularly photography or video; hands-on audio editing and innovative audio storytelling; working with one or more content management systems; other relevant technical expertise.
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues and geography as well as national and international issues and events.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and/or other languages common in Texas.
$55,000-$65,000 annually, depending on experience.
- Generous vacation (3 weeks), sick (8 days), personal time (2 days) and holidays (10)
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance
- KERA-paid short and long-term disability, basic life insurance and AD&D insurance
- Flexible scheduling and hybrid work environment
- 403b plan with KERA-match after 1 year
- Culture intentionally focused on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Robust employee assistance program available to the employee and all members of their household
We expect that this position will work out of the Dallas, Denton or Fort Worth Report offices at least 25% of the time.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume and cover letter and links to recent audio/digital work samples.
KERA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.