Digital Newsletter Producer
WHRO Public Media
Norfolk , VA
Application Deadline: Saturday, Aug 19, 2023
About WHRO Public Media:
WHRO Public Media is the largest local media company in Norfolk, VA with four TV stations and five radio channels. Since 1961, we have been at the pulse of pop culture, technology, current events and most importantly, education. Owned by a collaboration of 21 school divisions, WHRO Public Media offers employment opportunities in a variety of disciplines including communications, education, creative services, programming, interactive services, information technology, development, engineering, accounting and many other areas.
The Digital News Journalist is part of the team responsible for ensuring the WHRO newsroom is reaching all of Hampton Roads, targeting our content to reach the people who need and rely on it.
This person will assist in implementing the station’s larger engagement strategy in the newsroom by becoming a liaison between the marketing department and reporters.
They will write, prepare and build WHRO Journalism’s daily newsletter and create social media content. This person should be knowledgeable of social platforms to provide marketing with cross-platform multimedia assets such as video and imagery.
This journalist will contribute to the newsroom’s reporting by occasionally producing original reported content and assisting in breaking news coverage.
As WHRO’s newsroom expands, this person will report to a digital editor.
- Select stories, write and edit copy for a digital newsletter that includes content from local, state and national news partners and considering cross-departmental content for possible inclusion.
- Working with reporters and editors, manage the online presentation of news stories on the WHRO website, including writing accurate, SEO-friendly headlines
- Work with the station’s digital strategies department to become one of the newsroom expert on the station’s content management system.
- Make sure WHRO Journalism’s platforms are up-to-date and functional. This includes a podcast feed and website.
- Creates stories for multiple media platforms, including radio, podcast, and social media.
- Generates ideas and processes for supplemental web and social
- Write and produce content for social media platforms.
- Lead newsroom content creation on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter as well as appropriate new platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Sound news judgment
- Knowledge of social media content creation and ethics
- Ability to create and coordinate complex plans in cooperation with several departments
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn content management systems
- Ability to manage podcast feeds
- Basic understanding of HTML and photo editing
- Proficient communication skills
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- An Associate’s degree in media, journalism, liberal arts or related field.
- 1 or more years’ experience in a newsroom
- 1 or more years of experience in audience engagement or social media platforms
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of digital or graphic design
- Experience creating interactive visualization based on data
- Audio editing or scripting experience
- Experience working in Luminate newsletter building platform
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Assessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
- No adverse environmental conditions expected.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
Complete an application at https://corporate.whro.org/employment-opportunities/job-listings
It is WHRO’s policy to provide equal employment, educational and social opportunities for all persons, without regard to race (or traits historically associated with race including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation or genetic information. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For additional information about this position, please contact: