Radio Operations and Programming Manager
JUNEAU , AK
Application Deadline: Monday, Apr 03, 2023
KTOO is recruiting qualified candidates to apply for the position of RadioOperations and Programming Manager to join our team, supporting the operation of our three radio stations and the production of public media content on all of our platforms. We are seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual with strong IT skills and the ability to manage complex broadcast software and hardware systems. The person we hire will work closely with our content teams and volunteers, so strong communication skills are required. Tasks require attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure and on deadline.
The most important functions of the position are radio operations and program management, but in most weeks, this work will allow time for other projects. We have crafted the position so that it offers support to our volunteer program and our music station KRNN, but we’d love to learn what you might bring to the table if you do not see your skills reflected here. We are seeking candidates who have a deep appreciation for public media, and value community involvement.
- Operates complex broadcast systems, including program automation, network satellite systems, digital master control and production operating systems, content management systems and digital editing systems.
- Responsible for assuring all three radio stations are on the air each day, and first to respond to program errors and dead air.
- Maintains audio studios in collaboration with Engineering and IT.
- Develops and maintains station on-air promotions and interstitials.
- Maintain audio inventory – working with producers to maintain current electronic files, and to back up older files to archival storage, to ensure optimum performance of automation systems.
- Monitors overall sound of the radio stations.
- Organizes and/or supports broadcast of live performances.
- Works with the GM for KTOO Music and Arts, LLC on the selection and scheduling of programs from a variety of local, national and international sources.
- Supports the volunteer program including training and evaluating on-air volunteers, and managing music sent to the station for their use. Works collaboratively with the Arts Team on recruitment and scheduling.
- Host/produce/support/engineer for programs for broadcast and/or podcasts.
- Coordinates and/or assists with special events, programs, outreach projects, and on-air fundraising activities.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Ability to learn, program and operate complex computer systems (R)
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail (R)
- Ability to work well under pressure and work collaboratively with other staff (R)
- Ability to work cross culturally and with a wide range of individuals (R)
- Able to explain technical things to non-technical people (R)
- Willingness to be on-call and work evenings and weekends on occasion (R)
- Familiarity with broadcast and IT systems specific to KTOO’s stations, including AXIA, Audiovault automation and Natural Log traffic, or similar (P)
- Knowledge of a range of music and broadcast music formats. (P)
- Knowledge of and passion for public media, with a strong commitment to community involvement and public service (P)
The successful applicant will report to the GM for KTOO Music and Arts, but will work across departments to make sure we’re on the air each day and sounding great. KTOO is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages women and non-binary candidates; Alaska Native, Indigenous and people of color; people with disabilities and those with diverse economic and educational backgrounds to apply.
KTOO is honored to do our work on the homelands of the Lingít people, specifically, the Áak’w Kwáan L’eeneidí. We are a well-supported, highly visible public media organization with a strong commitment to local, regional and statewide program production. We operate three public radio stations in Juneau (KTOO, KRNN and KXLL), a regional public television station (KTOO-TV), a statewide public affairs television channel (360TV) and an online news service (www.ktoo.org).
Annual Salary: $56,790
- Health insurance (90% for employee, 75% for dependents)
- 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity retirement plan (KTOO contributes 4% of your salary annually) after year 1
- Life insurance
- Annual leave (15 days by the end of year 1)
- Medical leave (12 days by the end of year 1)
- Bereavement leave (5 days)
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks at full compensation)
- 11 paid holidays + 3 “floating holidays” of your choice
- Time off to vote
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Work from home allowance
- Indigenous language classes
Questions: Contact Cheryl Snyder here: https://www.ktoo.org/contact/staff/
Deadline: Open until filled with an initial screening of applicants on 4/3/23. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply: online at https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/apply-online/
KTOO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For additional information about this position, please contact: