Application Deadline: Monday, Oct 17, 2022
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB’s careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
We’re hiring an Accounting Director with experience in financial and budget reporting. We’re seeking someone who is detail oriented and has interpersonal and communication skills to provide excellent internal customer service across the organization. This is an opportunity to have a firsthand view of the intricacies of running a public media organization.
In this position you will be a be a valued member of a team of nine finance staff who all work very closely and collaborate on finance responsibilities. Currently we have a paper-based accounting system with plans to transition into a Cloud based system in the future. This position is part of a small team of OPB staff working onsite at our OPB headquarters.
This position is responsible for financial and budget reporting and assures the accuracy and integrity of accounting systems, including the general ledger and accounts payable.
30% – Prepare financial statements, reports, projections, analysis, and compliance related workpapers for internal and external users.
30% – Supervise Accounting Technicians with responsibility for accounts payable and the daily deposit. Provide leadership, supervision, training, and oversight including fostering an environment of belonging where diverse backgrounds, experiences, ideas and work styles are valued. Support the growth and development of team members offering coaching, recognition, and feedback to optimize performance and employee engagement. Plan and direct the work of the Accounting Technicians to meet department objectives. Ensures team understands their work priorities, responsibilities and contributions and how they align with department goals, organizational strategies and mission
15% – Collaborate with the CFO, finance team, and OPB’s leadership and directors in the preparation, monitoring, and ongoing analysis of revenue and expenditure budgets.
15% – Oversee and manage general accounting functions. Assure that financial activity is accurately reported in the general ledger. Prepare journal entries and monthly account reconciliations. Manage compliance requirements including the 1099 reporting process.
5% – Assist in administering and coordinating accounting systems for the organization. Review accounting policies and procedures and recommend revisions as necessary to assure efficient and accurate reporting and strong internal controls. Ensure adherence to generally accepted accounting principles, federal and state regulations, and company policies and procedures.
5% – Perform other duties as assigned.
General office environment requiring extended hours working at a computer. Infrequent travel. May need to work additional hours to meet workload and organizational needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business.
- Four years of experience as an accountant, accounting supervisor or manager.
- Knowledge of accounting practices, controls, budgeting, regulations, and U.S. GAAP.
- Knowledge and experience with networked accounting software, spreadsheets, and word processing.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to tailor messaging to meet different audience needs and level of understanding.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the services and mission of OPB.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and experience with nonprofit accounting practices and standards.
- Experience with an accounting software system implementation
- Certified Public Accountant
- This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is benefits eligible
- The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $105,000 and $115,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
- This position has access to highly sensitive data and therefore must pass a background check.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB’s careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on October 17, 2022.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.