Application Deadline: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021
PBS Utah is looking for an Associate Producer committed to doing the kind of work that builds public trust in journalism and storytelling, work that is skeptical, conversational and compassionate. Recognized as one of the leading public television stations in the country, PBS Utah is committed to serving the Utah community through diverse local productions, K-12 educational programs, and community engagement. PBS Utah works to provide the people of Utah and surrounding areas with relevant programming and services while upholding core values of integrity, fairness, independence, education, and innovation.
The PBS Utah Associate Producer assists Producers in managing, coordinating, producing and editing short-form projects for series, documentaries, segments, or shorts. The AP will coordinate a myriad of pre-production, production, and post-production details for This Is Utah, PBS Utah’s flagship, field-based, magazine series and Utah Insight, PBS Utah’s new, studio-based public affairs series. The AP will manage timelines, deliverables, media files, shoots, and edit sessions; and manage the technical & operational side of preparing shows for broadcast, web, or social.
Our ideal candidate is an inclusive emerging leader with the ability to build trust on their team and in the community we serve. This candidate should have a commitment to the core values of PBS Utah and have the ability to be mindful of the diverse voices and lived experiences in our community that broaden perceptions and find common ground.
Bachelor’s degree in Film, Communications, Journalism, or a related field, or equivalency (2 year related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education); excellent project leadership, organizational and time management skills; demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills; strong storytelling abilities; superior attention to detail; strong editing proficiency with Adobe Premiere Suite; excellent research skills; displays emotional intelligence, initiative, follow-through, and remains calm under pressure; and has the proven ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders with diplomacy, trust, and integrity.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Ability to write and speak fluently in a second language. Previous experience in communicating with, and/or telling the stories of underrepresented groups.
- Assists and supports Producers with all facets of pre-production, production, and post-production activities.
- Manages, organizes and coordinates the deliverables and timelines for This Is Utah and Utah Insight.
- Produces segments for This Is Utah and other departmental projects.
- Helps produce for Utah Insight.
- Edits for This Is Utah and Utah Insight.
- Writes copy for This Is Utah and Utah Insight.
- QC’s This Is Utah and Utah Insight elements and oversees the closed captioning.
- Acts as the liaison between This Is Utah and Utah Insight lead Producer and other Segment Producers or Host/Producers.
- Fill-ins as the Control Room Line Producer for live or live-to-tape productions as needed.
- Organizes, maintains and manages a project’s media assets such as drives, licenses, permissions, and metadata.
- Maintains editorial integrity and adheres to a high journalistic code of ethics.
Required documents: Cover Letter/Personal Statement, Resume, 3 References, and Links to your work specifying your roles. In your cover letter or personal statement, please speak to how your experience aligns with our job requirements and about your commitment to providing a voice to underrepresented groups. Applications without cover letters or personal statement, links to your work and the roles you performed, will not be considered.