Application Deadline: Friday, Dec 23, 2022
Buffalo Toronto Public Media is your local source for television and radio –
WNED PBS, WNED PBS KIDS, WNED Create, WBFO NPR, WNED Classical, and WBFO The Bridge!
We reach Western New York and Southern Ontario and can be streamed from your favorite device.
Engaging our communities through exploration and entertainment—everywhere.
We’re looking for a Digital Editor for WBFO!
What you’ll be doing:
The Digital Editor is responsible for ensuring journalistic integrity and accuracy within the digital news scope while reaching and engaging audiences across various platforms such as social media, wbfo.org, apps, podcasts, etc. This position can be hybrid – a blend of remote and in-office work. In summary, this individual will:
- Be responsible for day-to-day management of the workflow and news content for WBFO.org and output on various digital platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
- Serve as WBFO’s digital editor throughout the news day; coordinate and review reporter submissions for digital consumption and help develop copy, infographics, video, etc. for digital distribution
- Regularly work with Managing Editor and indirectly supervise reporter digital assignments; provide training as needed
- Amplify our journalism online by developing digital engagement that provides consistent consumable content and increased longevity, impact and reach, specifically in our local region and with a diversified lens
- Perform basic copyediting such as crafting compelling headlines, app alerts, and social media posts while simultaneously acting strategically on how best to distribute, package and share content to engage audiences
- In conjunction with web team, build and lead content strategies to expand the WBFO digital footprint and increase online engagement; ensure proper tagging, SEO and other data is included on digital content when published
- In conjunction with marketing team, consult with and execute digital content based on BTPM guidelines and practices; provide content for distribution as applicable (i.e. The WBFO Daily)
What you’ll need:
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in journalism, communication, media studies, or related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant editing experience, working with various content management systems, video production, audio recording, photo editing and digital content editing systems
- Superb writing and editing skills; detail-oriented with a meticulous eye for accuracy and understanding of what makes for effective storytelling; strong knowledge of AP Style
- Experience promoting content and engaging audiences through various online platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated understanding and application of Google Analytics (certification a plus) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Strong news judgment and project management skills
- Well-developed interpersonal and collaboration skills working with various teams
- Familiarity with and a commitment to the mission of public media, sharing diverse perspectives and reaching underserved communities through in-depth journalism
- Familiarity with various listening tools a plus
Because we’re awesome! You won’t find a better group of talented, energetic people dedicated to quality content and reaching the various communities of our region. We are proud of our culture and promote a realistic balance of both work and personal life. Our benefits package is fantastic and we have free parking!
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position and starting pay will be based on education, experience and interview. Starting range: $48,000 – $60,000 annually.
- 12 paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid Vacation
- Sick time (accrued)
- Medical, Dental, Life, Vision Short- & Long-Term Disability insurance options
- Health Savings Account (for applicable plans) with employer contribution
- Flex Spending Account option
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Critical Illness coverage options
- Identity Protection option
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Assistance (based on eligibility)
- Retirement Plan with 7.5% employer match (based on eligibility)
Buffalo Toronto Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion.