Application Deadline: Monday, Aug 08, 2022
ABOUT THE JOB
The Director, Digital Content is a senior newsroom supervisor, overseeing the development, execution and evaluation of our digital strategy. This position includes both short-term (daily) planning as well as long-term. You’ll build the plan for a seven-member digital team and then execute it.
We’re a growing public media company with a television station and an NPR radio station that is building a newsroom and new digital platform. We’re in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania – a news-rich community whose traditional media have been battered and shrunken by layoffs and corporate ownership. Our mission: Reinvigorate our community with journalism that informs and enlightens – and beat back the shadows of a looming news desert.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Oversee the building of the new digital platform website and then develop a plan for its regular updating and maintenance.
- Guide the digital platform news team to new avenues of multi-platform storytelling including using audio reporting and digital reporting together and separately to extend storytelling and reach new audiences.
- Work closely with other news managers to develop workflows (sometimes story by story) that serve all platforms.
- Establish and lead a new, intentional way for digital staff throughout the organization to meet regularly to share initiatives, ideas, peer feedback, best practices.
- Lead newsroom as to how to tailor storytelling for a digital audience and in design-based thinking
- Develop and execute digital strategy for News, including website, mobile platforms, social media and newsletter.
- Assess and establish baselines for creating exceptional digital content: text, visual, audio.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES ARE:
Versatile and steady under pressure. Able to bloom in a startup environment and not get frustrated or overwhelmed by the pace of growth. Experienced with managing a diverse team and working cross-departmentally. Experienced with content management systems, social media, digital video, newsletters and other distribution mechanisms, as well as building websites. Willing to lead by example as opposed to coaching from across the desk.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES HAVE:
- Solid, independent news judgment. Strong familiarity with the mission of public media.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and ability to maintain high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- An understanding of intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular.
- The ability to create social media and digital content
- A strong background in reporting, writing and/or editing.
- Experience editing under daily breaking news conditions
- The ability to manage, lead and build a team while exhibiting strong emotional intelligence.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience. At least five years of experience in daily journalism (digital, print and/or broadcast). At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Pay within a range of $65,000 to $75,000 annually to start with annual merit increase eligibility
- An excellent benefits package that includes 401(k) with match, low-deductible health insurance, free telemedicine, innovative paid time off policies, disability and life insurance, and more
- Professional growth through individual direction, training and development activities
- Connection with our industry through conferences and professional associations
- A culture that is supportive, respectful, inclusive, professional, and evolving
- A commitment to cultivating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workplace that helps us represent the voices of our community
- We’ll welcome you to an inclusive newsroom that is dedicated to our community and making it better tomorrow than it is today
Lehigh Valley Public Media highly encourages candidates with unique contributions such as ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity, nation of origin, age, language, veteran status, color, religion, disability, and sexual orientation to apply to our openings. Lehigh Valley Public Media is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
This position is based in Bethlehem, Pa., and residency in or near the Lehigh Valley is a requirement within the first 3 months of hire date. Vaccination for COVID-19 is required to enter our offices.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.