Application Deadline: Sunday, Sep 25, 2022
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides daily management of and communication with KEXP DJ staff; serves as first line of communication for all DJ staff for day-to-day as well as emergency situations, including on-call duties.
- Manages the scheduling of all DJ staff and ensures DJs are supplied with all pertinent information relating to their shifts, including live performance and interview schedules, traffic log requirements, and more.
- Manages and compiles relevant content for communication on the air, including daily programming schedule listings and the scheduling of on-air giveaways; distributes content directly to appropriate DJs, including compiling and posting content sheets and the in-studio schedule.
- Provides or arranges for ongoing training of current DJs, including applicable software systems, on-air booth equipment, underwriting databases, and more; troubleshoots for applicable software systems, underwriting databases, air booth equipment, and more.
- Executes recruitment, orientation, and training for new and prospective DJs; assists with evaluating potential on-air DJs.
- Oversees DJ Assistant volunteer program, working closely with the Community Engagement team; provides Programming-specific orientation, training and assists with evaluation of DJ Assistants.
- Manages the scheduling and execution of quarterly DJ meetings and other special DJ-related events as needed.
- Manages the Programming team tasks associated with on-air fundraising drives and other fundraising campaigns, including scheduling pitch teams, drive training meetings, and other elements.
- Manages the bi-weekly payroll process for DJ staff, including reviewing and approving time- sheets, troubleshooting, and connecting with HR as appropriate.
- Works with Programming Group Director, Creative Director, On-air, and KEXP HR to create, refine, and execute an effective performance evaluation/aircheck process, ensuring insightful evaluation and development of each DJ’s work, professional growth, and goals.
- Plans, guides, and executes professional development plans and opportunities for KEXP DJs; sets measurable and achievable targets for individuals and provides support and guidance to on-air staff in accomplishing their goals.
- Attends and contributes to Programming and other relevant meetings.
- Works with Business Support, Advancement, and Community Engagement teams to coordinate and schedule DJs for KEXP and partners’ events and appearances.
- Works with the Facilities Manager and DJs to ensure that the booths are clean and non-technical operations issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Works with the Broadcast Engineering and TechOps teams to ensure technical operations issues in the booths are resolved in a timely manner.
- Works with HR staff and Programming Group Director to update the Programming Guidelines as needed, monitors DJs for violations of the Programming Guidelines, including but not limited to conflict of interest, and enforces policies.
- Functions as board operator as needed.
General Organizational Responsibilities:
- Maintains thorough understanding of KEXP organizational policies, including employee handbook, procedures, expense reporting, and payroll submission; follows policies and leads by example.
- Works closely with direct reports to plan, guide, and execute professional development plans and opportunities; sets clear, achievable, and measurable goals for individual performance, providing frequent and constructive feedback, and holds staff accountable to themselves, the team, and KEXP.
- Actively participates in our culture of philanthropy, which honors the important role our donors, volunteers, business and community partners play in the life of KEXP. Collaborates across teams and departments to steward donors on behalf of KEXP and actively seeks opportunities to integrate philanthropy into their role within KEXP operations, programs, and projects.
Supervision Received: Position reports to the Programming Group Director.
Supervision Exercised: Provides direct supervision to on-air staff and DJ Assistant volunteers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook.
- Proven experience in recruiting, retaining, and leading dynamic and talented people to build successful teams.
- Proven experience in successfully managing teams, including the ability to set and achieve individual as well as departmental goals, and to mentor and manage performance for all team members.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams and create effective and engaged cross-team alignments.
- Ability to learn new systems, including software and booth equipment, and train others in the same.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to set and follow through on deadlines.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, including evenings or weekends as needed and additional hours during peak times, or as required; participates in rotating on-call duties for DJ emergencies.
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Experience building community and conducting outreach on behalf of an organization.
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on under-invited communities, either through lived experience and/or training and education.
- Commitment to advancing justice and equity in the arts with a passion for community building.
- Outstanding attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to take initiative and use independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines.
- Strong self-motivation in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, relationship-building, and communication skills – both written and verbal – for a wide variety of audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, as well as provide consistent, high-quality service to a wide variety of internal and external constituents and adapt communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional demeanor, especially while working in a fast-paced environment of constant demands and frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and react positively to change and conflict resolution.
- Deep knowledge, appreciation for, and understanding of KEXP programming and mission.
- Ability to embody the community-oriented spirit of KEXP to both internal and external constituents.
Physical Requirements: Long periods of being in a stationary position; operating a computer and other office equipment; frequently moving to/from various work areas, including accessing DJ booth, library, and other parts of KEXP’s facilities; frequently communicating by phone and email; frequently remaining in a stationary position during meetings, discerning meeting content, expressing oneself, and exchanging accurate information; frequently moving to/from off-site meeting and/or event locations; occasionally moves supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
Working Conditions: Primary location in typical business office environment and audio studios, with frequent meetings and event attendance at a variety of off-site locations. This position is eligible for up to 50% remote work, with an expectation of in-person availability for key business needs including DJ training and booth maintenance.
Compensation & Benefits: This full-time, exempt position includes an annual salary of $80,000, as well as a generous benefits package which includes medical/dental/vision coverage (premiums 90-100% employer paid), retirement plan with matching, vacation starting at three weeks per year plus holidays and sick leave, and much more.
KEXP is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and empowering workplace. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables KEXP to better meet our mission and serve music-loving communities around the world. We recognize that opportunities in radio and other creative industries have historically excluded and continue to disproportionately exclude Black and Indigenous people, people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA people. We strongly encourage individuals with these identities to apply.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to apply. If you experience technical difficulties with your application, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Closing Date: September 25, 2022