Application Deadline: Friday, Sep 30, 2022
KUOW has an exciting opportunity for an Events Producer who will work with teams across the organization to produce large-scale live events out in the community, creating opportunities for engagement with our audience as well as new audiences. The ideal candidate for this position will bring strong journalism fundamentals, live events experience, and a passion and curiosity for reaching audiences where they are. This person will develop live events that expand conversations and connect our audience with our newsroom, podcasts, shows, and core programs. This position is on KUOW’s Marketing team and reports to the Events and Partnerships Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Producing Live Events
The Events Producer is responsible for producing engaging in-person and virtual events in collaboration with the Events & Partnerships Manager and in service of KUOW’s mission to create and serve a more informed public. Responsibilities include:
- Support the Events and Partnerships Manager in producing content and audience driven KUOW in-person and virtual events with editorial staff, development staff, and podcast teams to engage diverse audience groups across the Puget Sound region.
- Serve as liaison between KUOW’s newsroom, community engagement team, partner organizations, and various community groups.
- Select, screen and book guests for in-person and virtual events, in support of KUOW’s editorial goals and commitment to diverse perspectives and voices.
- Create production schedules, scripts and materials, updates events calendar.
- Write event page and promo copy, including broadcast scripts, social posts, and attendee emails.
- Responsible for maintaining high standards of journalistic integrity, accuracy, and timeliness for KUOW’s in-person and live event content.
- Keeps up to date on current regional and topical news to help establish connections with the community at events.
Coordinating event logistics and at-event operational support
The Events Producer provides logistics and production support to KUOW’s virtual and live events platform, as part of the events team.
- Coordinate logistics with the hosts, guests, venue, and other vendors; including catering; and travel arrangements, virtual coordination with Marketing team and outside partners.
- Track event expenses.
- Day-of event support, Front of house management and ticket sales; coordinates and transports event equipment, signage, and swag to venue.
- Off-site visits with partners, venues, and vendors.
Other duties as assigned by Events and Partnerships Manager.
- Position reports to the Events and Partnerships Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field and one or more years working in journalism, live event production, and/or project management.
- A driver’s license or ability to obtain a driver’s license and operate a vehicle.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with cross-departmental coordination and managing short and long-term production deadlines.
- Experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong news judgment.
- Strong writing skills.
- Familiarity w/digital and mobile content and ticket sale management systems.
- Familiarity with data analysis.
- Strong written communication skills with design skills a plus.
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Hybrid office (combination of telework and onsite)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours depending on events schedule.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move and transport heavy event equipment to event locations.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
$5,000 – $5,500/month ($60,000 – $66,00 annually); overtime eligible
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio is Seattle’s NPR news station. We are an independent, nonprofit news organization that produces award-winning journalism, innovative podcasts, engaging community events and more.
Our work is about truth. We were founded with the idea that everyone should have free access to honest, fact-checked information – as well as stories that broaden conversations and deepen understanding of the world around us. We work every day in service of our mission to create and serve a more informed public, because we believe an informed public is essential to a thriving community, a vibrant democracy, and a better future.
We are one of the nation’s founding NPR member stations, broadcasting from the Puget Sound region continually since 1952. KUOW acknowledges that we occupy the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands of the Coast Salish people.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND RACIAL EQUITY
KUOW and the University of Washington are equal opportunity employers. KUOW is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
Open until filled