Application Deadline: Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021
ALL CANDIDATES MUST APPLY THROUGH INDEED AT: http://bit.ly/EDKXCI
KXCI seeks a dynamic new Executive Director who brings a deep appreciation for the culture of the borderlands and non-commercial radio to lead our diverse and extraordinary team of volunteers and professionals to build on nearly 40 years of meaningful community engagement through radio.
About KXCI Community Radio
KXCI is a diverse, independent, and community-based radio station serving Tucson and Southern Arizona. Founded in 1983, KXCI is committed to connecting the communities of Tucson and Southern Arizona to each other – and the world – with informative, engaging, and creative community-based programming. More than 35,000 listeners tune in to the station each week over the air and online. KXCI plays music from all genres and eras, as well as informative, locally-produced mini-programs, provided by 70+ volunteer DJs and on-air hosts. The organization currently operates with a budget of approximately $1M.
About the Position
The Executive Director’s (ED’s) essential function is to manage and direct the day to day operations in order to execute the mission and vision of the station in alignment with organizational values. The ED’s overarching goal is to develop and grow the organization creatively, financially, and operationally.
The ED ensures that the talents and capabilities of station staff and volunteers are effectively utilized. The ED shares responsibility with the Board of Directors to build a productive partnership that ensures good governance, strategic planning and stewardship of community resources. The ED represents the station to the Tucson and Southern Arizona communities and throughout the industry. Accordingly, the ED is responsible for cultivating relationships with the station’s strategic partners, members, funders, and peer organizations.
- Personnel Management: The ED is responsible for guiding the work of all full-time staff, part-time staff, and volunteers and furthering a positive work environment and organizational culture.
- Operations: The ED has overall responsibility for station programming, program production, and compliance with FCC and CPB regulations. The ED is responsible for assuring maintenance and operability of broadcast equipment, and the maintenance and improvement of all station facilities.
- Financial Management: The ED is responsible for budgeting and budget tracking, oversight of bookkeeping and audits, maintenance of records, grant tracking and reporting, and financial reporting to the Board of Directors and granting agencies.
- Fund Development: The ED is responsible for ensuring sufficient funds are available for station operations through grant writing and reporting, maintaining relationships with granting agencies and organizations, donor development, and overseeing and implementing the organization’s development plan, including membership development, donor cultivation and recognition, and fundraising events.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
Media industry experience (non-commercial, radio preferred) – 3 years
Management & Supervisory experience – 3 years minimum / 5+ years desired
Proven experience working effectively with diverse communities and volunteers
Qualified candidates will demonstrate an ability to:
Further an organizational culture of equity and inclusion
Engage, amplify and appreciate the contributions of diverse volunteers
Communicate effectively, on-air and in-person; Spanish speaking a plus
Foster meaningful community collaborations
Develop strategies to engage new audiences
Motivate community support
Embrace and introduce new technology
Increase organizational capacity
Compensation & Benefits
This is an exempt, full-time position. Annual salary is between $60,000 – $70,000, depending on experience. Benefits include medical insurance and paid time off.
1. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Apply by June 1 to be ensured consideration.
2. Interested candidates should apply through the Indeed portal at http://bit.ly/EDKXCI
3. Please submit a resume and cover letter sharing your vision for the role of community-radio in the borderlands. Applicants will be directed to take brief online assessments and record answers to a couple of preliminary screening questions by phone.
KXCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Here is a link to our most recent EEO Report.
It is our policy to ensure equal employment opportunity in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations and guidelines. Employment discrimination against employees, applicants, and volunteers due to race, color, religion, gender (including sexual harassment) or gender identity, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military or veteran status, economic circumstance, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law, is illegal.