Application Deadline: Thursday, Dec 15, 2022
This podcast is a joint production of WYPR and The Baltimore Banner.
WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region. The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.
The Baltimore Banner is a new non-profit digital news source for the Baltimore region whose mission is to be an indispensable resource that strengthens, unites and inspires our Baltimore community. We will accomplish this through trustworthy, quality journalism that tells the varied stories of our people, delivers local news that readers are willing to support, and holds our leaders accountable.
Your Public Radio and The Baltimore Banner are looking for a host for an exciting new daily news podcast about the Baltimore region. The host will be an excellent storyteller and an engaging guide, letting listeners know about the most interesting developments in Baltimore and the surrounding region each day. The host will help shape the podcast through their editorial input and personality. The host will narrate scripts and participate in the production process, preparing for interviews, and writing and editing their scripts. They reflect the unique sensibility of Baltimore with an engaging, casual, and intimate on-air presence that attracts and retains listeners by revealing their personality, background, curiosity, and sense of humor. The host also will represent WYPR and The Banner in public settings, and develop a strong social media presence.
The ideal host is a proven, creative storyteller with an engaging style, a clear narrative voice, and is a highly motivated self-starter and idea generator. They are responsible for proposing, developing, researching, and writing episode scripts, and identifying, pitching, and interviewing guests.
- Serve as host and lead personality.
- Write and voice scripts that engage the audience in a genuine, authentic manner by being informative and creative, with a casual and engaging tone that helps audiences feel a personal connection to the host and content.
- Research and conduct interviews.
- Coordinate with producers, designers, and other staff members to create each episode’s content
- Collaborate with producers, co-hosts, and associate producers to generate interesting show topics and schedule guests that will create lively dialogue that engages the interests of the audience.
- Produce promotional and other content for WYPR and The Banner.
- Participate in special news and interview programs, on-air fundraising, and events for WYPR and The Banner.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- At least 3 years on-air and production experience
- Passionate about Baltimore and the value of local journalism.
- Demonstrated creativity in writing, delivery, and personality.
- Strong interest in current events and popular culture
- Solid production skills with a strong working knowledge of audio equipment necessary for on-air and production execution.
- Meticulous sense of detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Active communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of staff and activities.
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture
- Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of NPR news and public radio.
- Journalistic experience – 5 years, some of which must be public radio or broadcast.
- Strong judgment and understanding of journalistic standards, practices and ethics required.
- Proven record of telling stories for diverse communities
- Ability to manage people and give constructive feedback
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change in a fast moving, live news environment., is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, participates in regular feedback sessions, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
WYPR offers a competitive benefits package.
Applications can also be mailed to Business Manager, WYPR, 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.