Application Deadline: Friday, Sep 30, 2022
Salary: $ 85,000
Benefits: Very generous benefits through the University of Arkansas. More information can be found here.
The General Manager (GM) of UA Little Rock Public Radio will provide leadership and management of KUAR 89.1, KLRE Classical 90.5, and ualrpublicradio.org. This position will prioritize the sustainability and growth of central Arkansas’s essential public radio service so that it may best serve the community. The GM will lead with a strong vision for the stations which carries forward the missions of public media and UA Little Rock. The GM will lead staff and stakeholders in establishing and executing an effective strategic plan to achieve success in financial, fundraising, broadcasting, programming and content, and marketing operations at the stations. The GM reports directly to the Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences, and Education. The GM has an active working relationship with the Friends of KLRE/KUAR Board, a fundraising advisory board, through regular meetings and informal interactions to communicate financial status, strategic opportunities and challenges, and on- going activities at the station.
Located in Central Arkansas, Little Rock is the capital city of the state. Featuring ample affordable housing opportunities and a diverse and vibrant food scene, the city is also home to many cultural institutions like Arkansas Repertory Theatre, Robinson Center Performance Hall, Arkansas Symphony Orchestra, Ballet Arkansas, the Clinton Presidential Library, and the Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts. Metro Little Rock offers ten world-class healthcare institutions and one of the nation’s largest pediatric hospitals in Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Little Rock promotes a lifetime of learning with educational opportunities ranging from award-winning K-12 public schools to private, college preparatory academies, and 20 colleges and universities. Known as the Natural State, Arkansas features 52 state parks and is populated by stunning lakes and rivers. Central Arkansas features a 34-mile recreational trail that connects downtown Little Rock to Pinnacle Mountain State Park. According to the Tax Foundation, a dollar in Arkansas goes farther than anywhere in America.
The General Manager is responsible for overall management of KLRE/KUAR. This includes:
- Overall management and supervision of Membership Director, Finance Director, Underwriting staff, News Director, Operations and Program Departments;
- Provide strong staff leadership with specific attention to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and career development;
- Responsible for compliance with FCC and University rules and regulations;
- Liaison with station legal counsel;
- Work with the University’s Contract Review Manager to execute contracts on behalf of station according to University policy.
- Work with Finance Director to ensure compliance with budget planning, review, and requirements;
- Oversee all private and public grant writing and reporting in collaboration with UA Little Rock Office of Alumni and Development and Office of Research and Sponsored Programs;
- Work with Membership Director to implement member drives and giving programs;
- Assist Finance Director during annual audit;
- Supervise underwriting staff;
- Review and approve Workday processes.
Marketing and Public Relations:
- Direct and implement media relations and serve as primary public spokesperson for UA Little Rock Public Radio;
- Foster strong relationships within the community and industry;
- Work with staff and UA Little Rock Communications Department to develop, review and implement marketing strategies, organizational identity projects, community outreach and sponsorships;
- Oversee social media, Constant Contact, and website communication efforts;
- Review, update and direct maintenance of KLRE/KUAR website.
- Responsible for the overall implementation of all equipment, software, and special projects;
- Work with Engineer, Operations Coordinator, and IT Department to ensure proper upkeep and maintenance of all equipment;
- Review all proposals for new media implementation.
- Establish, update, and maintain – as needed – the audio and visual “branding” and position of KLRE/KUAR, ualrpublicradio.org, and the stations’ social media accounts;
- Work with staff actively to maintain as effective a programming schedule possible for execution of the stations’ mission and objectives, and service to the community;
- Work with the News Director to ensure the news department has the needed staff and resources to provide local news coverage through newscasts during mornings and afternoons, longform coverage as warranted on the radio and online;
- Lead the strategic direction of the organization, focusing on audience expansion and engagement , ensuring UA Little Rock Public Radio continue to provide an excellent and essential broadcasting and media service.
- Master’s degree in Mass Communications or a related field is preferred
- 5 years of management experience is required
- Demonstrated successful experience in fundraising
- Experience in management of a multi-station organization is preferred
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to facilitate and manage station
- Ability to manage and provide guidance to budgetary requirements
- An understanding of the FCC rules and regulations
- Knowledge of public radio programming, CPB and other related funding and program services
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Computer proficient, including experience with Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, broadcast automation systems, networked audio distribution systems, radio traffic software systems, membership databases, website content management systems, and audio editing software
- Familiarity with trends in emerging technology and media distribution platforms
- Demonstrated success in community and professional networking
How to Apply
Livingston Associates is assisting KLRE/KUAR in this search. To apply submit your resume and a letter of introduction including your vision for the future of the station and public media and how you will be the ideal person to lead us in achieving that vision. These documents should be uploaded when you apply. Please apply by following this link.
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates at (410) 243-1974.
It is the policy of KLRE/KUAR and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, veteran’s status, or disability, and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive, continuing program of affirmative action.