Application Deadline: Saturday, Oct 15, 2022
Media Sales Director, representing Pittsburgh’s NPR station 90.5 WESA and Music station 91.3 WYEP.
This is an exciting opportunity for a high-impact media sales executive to do work that matters by leading the media sponsorships sales effort representing Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting’s stations 90.5 WESA and 91.3 WYEP. The Media Sales Director will provide hands-on leadership to the team responsible for selling and creatively packaging sponsorship programs across the stations’ radio, digital, and event platforms.
With internal management and external market-facing responsibilities, the Media Sales Director will play a critical role in helping our stations realize immediate revenue growth targets through existing radio platforms, while growing digital, event, and multi-platform revenue. This position reports to the Vice President, Audiences and Revenue and has four account executive direct reports. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage, help, mentor and guide the underwriting sales team to secure financial support for the stations and to exceed annual revenue goals.
- Assist with the development of department annual budget and creation of sales targets.
- Develop pricing and inventory controls.
- Create proposals and develop underwriting packages for clients.
- Assist the underwriting team in identifying new opportunities and prospecting leads.
- Work within in a team-based collaborative department to achieve department and organizational goals.
- Support the sales team with team and individual meetings.
- Responsible for weekly/monthly activity tracking, projecting and forecasting future results, and reports of sales activity using Wide Orbit Traffic, Salesforce, and other tools
- Directs staffing, training and performance evaluations for underwriting department.
- Planning comprehensive marketing campaigns for underwriting partners utilizing all sales tools available including Tapscan and Scarborough.
- Adhere to accounting department payment and collection procedures.
- Complete understanding and observance of the FCC rules and regulations as it relates to underwriting messaging in a noncommercial setting.
- Maintain current knowledge of radio ratings and digital metrics.
- Represent organization at community networking events.
- Understand the unique nature of public radio to be able to effectively advocate for the products and services.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Possess a genuine interest in learning about people and businesses.
- Possess a genuine interest in public media and the roles played by WESA and WYEP in our community,
- Understands and uses broadcast research such as Nielsen and qualitative research such as Scarborough.
- Experience tracking and reporting sales activity through Wide Orbit Traffic, Salesforce, or similar programs.
- Highly motivated and creative with knowledge of required marketing skills and a willingness to develop through training.
- Capable of working effectively in a highly collaborative culture.
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to write and present in a professional and motivating manner.
- Excellent customer service skills and customer relationship management skills.
- A thorough understanding of media sales and media planning.
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and clients simultaneously.
- Minimum of five years of in sales management and a minimum of 10 years in direct or outside sales.
Style and Culture:
- Professionalism, emotional maturity, and tact are important attributes in successfully managing a role at Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting.
- A collaborative player-coach style: the ability to inspire positive change as a member of the management team.
- Flexibility: the ability and instinct to pivot, challenge assumptions and adapt the game plan based on market conditions, client feedback and the input of others.
- Problem solver: takes ownership; maximizes resources; can create a proactive strategy; is optimistic; applies a consultative sales approach to sustain client relationships rather transact business.
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity.
About Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting:
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is a team full of passionate and fun people dedicated to our crafts as well as our communities. Our organization plays a vital role in building connections across southwestern Pennsylvania and strengthening our communities through exceptional journalism and cultural exploration and education . . . and we have a powerful broadcast network to help!
We operate two local public radio stations and a local newsroom that serves the community across radio, digital and event platforms. 90.5 WESA is Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station and WESA News is an award winning, dynamic and ambitious newsroom serving southwestern Pennsylvania over-the-air, online and through our daily newsletter, Inbox Edition. 91.3 WYEP is one of the most highly regarded non-commercial Triple-A music stations in the country and has been a cultural institution in Pittsburgh for almost 50 years. With a combined weekly listenership of more than 153,000 people and more than 60,000 social media followers, this is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced media sales executive to help PCBC continue to grow.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Employee development is critical to the missions of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting and its stations, so we invest resources in providing development opportunities for all employees.
This management position carries a compensation package comprised of a base salary with override and performance-based bonus opportunities.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision benefits, 403(b) plan with generous matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays, maternity and new parent leave, and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and innovative.
Please visit our careers page to apply. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and three references. In your application, please let us know how you heard about the position.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.
For additional information about this position, please contact: