Application Deadline: Friday, Oct 01, 2021
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
WHYY is looking for a talented Video Editor, Media Technician. The Video Editor works directly with Producer and staff to produce high quality video content for a variety of projects and a number of different platforms. Editors must be able to take a script from conception to completion efficiently and creatively. The perfect candidate edits from a story-driven perspective, is highly organized with experience in motion graphics. Ideal candidates will also be able to juggle multiple projects at once in a fast-paced environment, demonstrate strong collaboration skills, and communicate effectively with our team and partners. This position serves as one of the station’s editors providing support for productions and other technical work as assigned.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES will include:
- Fluency in Avid Media Composer with experience in Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro software
- Create sequences consisting of: shots from raw camera footage, audio, still photos, sound effects and graphics.
- Previous editing experience with high familiarity of standard editing concepts: color correction, monitor and correct audio levels, closed captioning editing
- Use editorial judgment to create high quality videos
- Experiment with new and innovative editing techniques
- Maintain a library and archive of all content
- Masking /blurring video and editing audio to meet company requirements
- Editor with a lot of creativity and initiative, and who enjoys collaborating with producers on the creative process
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving and creating unique approaches to editing depending on what the story requires
- Encode and export video in multiple formats for delivery on multiple platforms
- Ability to work with graphic templates and create unique motion graphics a plus
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekend and evening hours as necessary
- Must be highly organized; detail-oriented and possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be dependable, flexible and self-motivated while maintaining a standard of quality and integrity
- A reel demonstrating the breadth of work
Education – Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Minimum of 3 years working as an editor within a television news operation, or a production company.
Experience with non-linear editing equipment, preferably Avid Media Composer.
Working knowledge of multi-camera productions.
Ability to work with Adobe software to create graphics to enhance video production a plus.
Excellent project management, organization, and communication skills are required.
Software/Technical Skills: Avid Media Composer, Microsoft Office products, Adobe creative products, general knowledge of broadcast environment.
License or Certification: IBEW Local 98 membership
Experience: 3 + years of experience in video editing production, and audio.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.