Application Deadline: Friday, Oct 01, 2021
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
WHYY is looking for a talented Videographer/Editor, Media Technician. The perfect candidate has a balance of passion for the craft, experience in execution of projects start-to-finish, organization, diligence, and creativity. This position documents local content using best practices in production and electronic news-gathering (ENG) and serves as one of the station’s videographers providing coverage of productions and events as assigned. The Videographer is responsible for operating and maintaining broadcast equipment both in-studio and in the field.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES will include:
- Videography for both field and studio content, with an emphasis on documentary production
- Videographer with a lot of creativity and initiative, and who enjoys collaborating with producers on the creative process
- Ability to establish lighting and audio strategies, both in-studio and other unique shooting locations
- DP experience a big plus
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving and creating unique approaches to shooting depending on what the story requires
- Experience using steadicams and gimbals
- Experience with FS7’s & DSLR’s cameras, a must
- Edit productions using Avid Media Composer, incorporating the following elements: raw interviews, still photos and video highlights, audio, animations, and graphics
- Encode and export video in multiple formats for delivery on multiple platforms
- Ability to work with graphic templates and create unique motion graphics a plus
- Ability to work non-traditional hours including nights and weekends
- A reel demonstrating the breadth of work
Education: High School Diploma required with a Bachelor’s degree in media/video/film production or a combination of education and work experience.
Experience: Minimum of 3 years working as a videographer/editor within a television news operation, or a production company. 3 + years of experience in field camera production, audio and lighting.
Working knowledge of lighting multiple subjects for single or multi-camera productions.
Experience using ENG-style cameras for video production.
Ability to work with non-linear editing equipment, preferably Avid Media Composer.
Ability to work with Adobe software to create graphics to enhance video production a plus.
Excellent project management, organization, and communication skills are required.
Software/Technical Skills: Sony FS7 cameras, Avid Media Composer, steadicams and gimbals, Microsoft Office products.
License or Certification: IBEW Local 98 membership
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.