Application Deadline: Monday, Jul 05, 2021
This position is a key member of PlanPhilly’s editorial team, providing daily coverage of Philadelphia’s planning and development news for WHYY multi-media platforms including website and radio. This position will focus on news that affects the environment and/ or public health with an emphasis on environmental justice.
This position is responsible for enterprise reporting, strong writing and audio production on deadline, sharp editing, and impeccable news judgement. A knowledge of interest in covering PlanPhilly’s core subject areas (urban development and design, infrastructure, neighborhoods, and planning in Philadelphia) is essential. The ideal candidate would be bilingual and feel comfortable reporting on non-English speaking communities. If you are bilingual, please identify second language and competency level in cover letter.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works independently to research and generate story ideas.
- Research, report, and produce news feature stories.
- Edit stories for content, copy, accuracy, and style for PlanPhilly team as needed.
- Present and workshop story ideas at editorial/production meetings.
- Help develop, coordinate, lead, and produce feature series and events ideas, developing programs and new projects.
- Use social media to cultivate contacts and promote work.
- Cultivate and maintain sources.
- Prepare stories for publishing online.
- Work odd hours as news or events require.
- Keep current with news, local events and national trends in urbanism.
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Photography for publication online responsible for taking and posting pictures.
- Assist in fundraising campaigns.
- Participate in community events.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related discipline or the equivalent experience is required.
Experience: 3-5 years of journalism experience, ideally covering news in an urban setting or urban real estate development and related topics.
Technical Skills: Must have strong computer literacy with current knowledge of writing and editing software, online content management systems, and social medial platforms. Must be able to easily adapt to new technical tolls. Familiarity with audio/video production tools, mapping platforms, and design software is desirable.