Application Deadline: Monday, Aug 15, 2022
The Major Market Group (MMG) is a consortium of 40 of the largest public TV stations by market size in the United States. The group represents 70% of the nation’s audience. The MMG is a leadership organization within public media that strives to develop and implement high impact, financially sustainable business models for public media that enable its member stations to best serve their communities. Many of the projects and priorities created within the MMG are then shared with the larger public media community.
The MMG facilitates the sharing of information and ideas, and drives and supports collaboration among its members on activities of mutual concern to improve the range, quality, and effectiveness of local station members. The MMG explores and implements new initiatives to improve the public media system and takes leadership positions to effect action and improve outcomes of major public media policy issues.
The President and Executive Director of the Major Market Group is the principle executive responsible to lead this association of public television stations. Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the President and Executive Director shapes and advocates for the strategic issues beneficial to the growth and influence of its members. They lead the day-to-day operations of the organization and ensure its efficient and successful operation in line with the goals and objectives detailed within the strategic plan. They serve as a collaborative advocate with national partners and other stakeholders in service of the success and growth of public media.
Location: Remote anywhere in United States; frequent travel required
Demonstrate Values of the MMG
- Assumes positive intent
- Celebrates diverse perspectives
- Listens to understand
- Owns and celebrates each other’s success and failures
- Seeks and uses highest-impact best practices
- Is deeply curious, aspires toward profound understanding.
- Collective ability to lead staff by retaining and training across public media.
- Proposes creative break-through solutions
- Is open to feedback
- Has candid conversations about difficult topics
- Takes risks to improve relationships and results
- Asks for help when needed
- Advocates for key MMG outcomes
- Seeks to strategically influence our partners
- Builds respect and trust within our communities
- Models visionary leadership for those around them
The Ideal Candidate will be:
- A collaborative leader with highly developed relationship skills; adept as an influencer and consensus builder. An effective communicator, with diplomacy.
- A big picture/strategic thinker able to be entrepreneurial with an ability to work independently and achieve results.
- Someone who is intellectually curious and engaging.
- Comfortable working independently to achieve results.
- Strong social media, communications and presentation skills.
- An unquestioned reputation for integrity and ethics; a strong character that will quickly gain the trust of others.
- Creative, versatile, intuitive, and driven; mission oriented.
- Be politically savvy, and use abilities to network and obtain opportunities.
- Have strong public speaking and written communication skills.
- Open, visible and approachable in communications with everyone.
The successful candidate will have:
- BA is required, or in place of a degree, 5+ years of relevant experience.
- A passion for the power of public media.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience scaling an organization with management experience (in public media, strongly preferred); a statewide network; a local, state community agency; government relations or public relations; is desirable.
- The ability to form and sustain partnerships across a complex network of local stations, national entities, affinity groups/coalitions, etc.
- Business acumen including fiscal management, including the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget, and problem solving, project management and creative resourcefulness.
If interested and qualified, please contact for the full Recruitment Profile:
Director, Stanton Chase International
For additional information about this position, please contact:
Iris Drayton-SpannOffice: 202-248-5088