Application Deadline: Thursday, Dec 29, 2022
About WHRO Public Media:
WHRO Public Media is the largest local media company in Norfolk, VA with four TV stations and five radio channels. Since 1961, we have been at the pulse of pop culture, technology, current events and most importantly, education. Owned by a collaboration of 21 school divisions, WHRO Public Media offers employment opportunities in a variety of disciplines including communications, education, creative services, programming, interactive services, information technology, development, engineering, accounting and many other areas.
The Segment Producer is responsible for producing community-based stories (soft news) for our News Magazine programs, to enhance the local content presence on Morning Edition & All Things Considered. The Producer will work with the Sr. Director of Audience Content & Audience Strategy, News Director and hosts to help craft the overall sound and local content of the program to meet the needs of our listening audience. They will also occasionally provide fill-in hosting for Morning Edition and All Things Considered as needed. The position is a full time, exempt, in-person position based in Norfolk Virginia.
• Works with News magazine Hosts, Sr. Director, Audio Content & Audience Strategy and News Director to create local content and assemble program elements to serve the Hampton Roads Community.
• Plans, researches and produces local stories for broadcast and digital platforms.
• Writes host lead in/out and web articles for stories produced.
• Scans wires, community websites, chat groups and other sources to stay on top of the community happenings and stories.
• Coordinates with newsroom on story topics, placement for local news magazines. Uploads produced stories to digital platforms (website, WHRO App, NPR One, etc.)
• Fills in for Morning Edition Host and All Things Considered Host as needed.
• Foster and maintain strong community relationships.
• Participates in on-air fundraising and sponsorship activities as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Passion and intuition for journalism, storytelling and radio.
• Excellent writing skills, including radio script writing.
• Ability to find new and interesting angles on stories and determine best means of delivery, inkling most appropriate media formats to effectively tell the story.
• Demonstrated radio editing and production skills, experience in producing and/or editing digital media (e.g., audio, photo editing, blogs, and video).
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, and digital editing software such as Adobe Audition.
• Experience posting content online, including understanding of linking, adding photos and other media, providing text versions of stories and using social media; technologically versatile and willing to expand skills.
• Familiarity with digital studio broadcast equipment.
• Working knowledge of Hampton Roads community and history desirable.
• Knowledge of editorial policy and journalism ethics.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and independently to achieve desired goals.
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and a sense of urgency required to meet deadlines.
• B.A. in relevant field or equivalent experience.
• Two to three years’ experience in related field.
• Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces.
• Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
• Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.
• Adjusting or moving objects up to 5 pounds in all directions
• Communicating with others to exchange information.
• Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• Operating machinery and/or power tools.
• Assessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
• Noisy environments.
• Small and/or enclosed spaces.
• Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
Complete an application at https://corporate.whro.org/employment-opportunities/job-listings
It is WHRO’s policy to provide equal employment, educational and social opportunities for all persons, without regard to race (or traits historically associated with race including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation or genetic information. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For additional information about this position, please contact: