Application Deadline: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021
Sr. Manager, Publicity
Team: Corporate Communications
The Sr. Manager, Publicity will work with the Director, General Audience Publicity, and the larger communications team to develop and implement publicity campaigns for PBS primetime programs and digital initiatives. This includes, but is not limited to, the creation of strategic PR and event plans, securing earned media, developing press and promotional materials, and collaborating with internal teams to develop and execute press strategies to drive program awareness and tune-in.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Working with Director, serve as publicist for priority programs and digital initiatives
- For assigned programs, serve as a subject matter expert and key point of contact. Work in a timely manner to develop the shows’ presence on the PBS PressRoom site to meet station and press deadlines while ensuring accuracy of information and following consistent editorial standards.
- Cultivate and maintain strong national media relationships with relevant media outlets.
- With detailed knowledge of assigned programs, work with producers and across various PBS departments to develop strategic PR plans and support new and ongoing series.
- Manage internal media lists by creating, maintaining, and updating relevant lists to ensure accuracy.
- Work with PBS stations and partners to identify publicity opportunities and develop local pitch angles as needed to generate coverage of assigned shows.
- Generate publicity materials including PR plans, press releases, show descriptions, talking points, bios, event remarks, briefing documents, etc.
- Publish publicity materials (listings, bios, press releases, photos, video screeners) to PBS’s internal platforms including PBS About, PBS PressRoom, The Source, and PBS_PR Twitter, etc.
- Develop and leverage relationships with internal and external teams. Work with PBS member stations, producers, and partner organizations to execute PR plans.
- Working with Director, Event Strategy & Production, assist in the production of the Television Critics Association Press Tour, and media and fan screening events (both on-site and virtually) for PBS programs as assigned, including talent coordination and media training, and gathering assets, talking points, logistics and other event requirements.
- Serve as talent manager for featured experts, hosts or celebrities, while working closely with their personal publicists and managers, as needed.
- Review programs to determine key moments and newsworthy clips, and alert senior management to any sensitive content, potential controversies or issues.
- Collaborate with the PBS digital and social media teams on campaign strategy and execution for publicity efforts. This can include reviewing sensitive social media language; identifying sharable clips for digital and social platforms and as press exclusives; liaise with talent, producers and influencers on social media promotion; and coordinating with the digital team on press announcements and sharing relevant press coverage.
Other duties as assigned:
- Work with the General Audience Publicity team to track relevant aspects of the GA Publicity budget.
- Assist with PressRoom press and station registration and monitor the PressRoom inbox.
- Working with the PBS marketing team and external agency partners, facilitate the design and creation of press kits and influencer mailers for priority programs.
- Post on behalf of PBS from the PBS_PR Twitter account to share press announcements or other information.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience accepted.
- 6+ years of related work experience in the fields of communications, publicity, and/or journalism. Those with a broadcast/television background strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience pitching media and placing stories
- Established relationships with top-tier entertainment media contacts preferred but not required
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills
- Experience with on camera talent and/or executive management
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams and work well independently
- Good project and time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize and multi-task on several program assignments
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
- Comfortable taking initiative/leading projects, anticipating next steps and identifying controversies
- Ability to understand PBS’s unique local/national model and positioning in the larger media landscape
- A respect and passion for public television and what it represents to its viewers
- A true team player who is willing to pitch in when needed.
- Basic photoshop skills preferred
- Sitecore or prior CMS experience preferred
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia