Application Deadline: Sunday, Feb 28, 2021
- Lehigh Valley Public Media is the home of public television station PBS39/WLVT, the local NPR news station WLVR, and the television station WPPT, as well as the Lehigh Valley Reads and Battling Opioids initiatives. Lehigh Valley Public Media is simply the umbrella for all our brands and initiatives.
- We are a 50-year-young non-profit located 90 minutes from Manhattan and 60 minutes from Philadelphia in the rapidly-growing Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.
- We are in an exciting new era for the organization, and we seek appropriate team members for these transformational new enterprises that will ensure a community that is engaged, inspired and vibrant.
- Our Mission Statement: Lehigh Valley Public Media acts as the catalyst to promote civic engagement, and to fulfill the regional needs of the Greater Lehigh Valley through its dynamic communication platforms and resources.
The Vice President, Marketing and Communications defines, develops and executes the Lehigh Valley Public Media (and its owned media assets – television, radio and digital platforms) brand and content marketing plan to support business growth and strengthen brand awareness. Strategies should be focused on achieving LVPM’s objectives aligned with its mission to act as the catalyst to promote civic engagement, and fulfill the regional needs of the Greater Lehigh Valley through its dynamic communication platforms and resources. This position has an important and dynamic role as part of the senior management team.
OVERALL LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Serve as highly engaged member of LVPM’s senior team on matters including strategic planning, broadcast and digital initiatives, and help map the future of LVPM
- Establish the brand direction and execution across all internal media platforms, key stakeholders and target audience
- Create and lead the execution of the organization’s comprehensive and integrated marketing plan (to include all owned, earned and paid media) to achieve organization’s business objectives, strengthen brand awareness and audience preference
- Lead, manage and motivate the organization’s marketing and communications department as well as others throughout organization in various projects
- Develop, manage and forecast annual budgets and updates
- Grow key relationships with local community and business leaders; establish a strong public-facing presence for the organization
- Drive the creation and implementation of all branding and marketing campaigns in support of LVPM’s media assets (television, radio and digital platforms) to include both internal and external executions
- Establish and measure performance against a set of aligned performance indicators against LVPM’s business objectives to include audience ratings, pledge results, social media metrics, and other KPIs – share with key staff, Board and other constituencies
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with leading community-based organizations, and local industry and government leaders
- Lead the organization’s digital marketing presence (web, social media, etc.)
- Work closely with internal departments to define marketing needs for organization’s program and initiatives
- Lead and manage assigned staff within the department
- Secure and manage advertising agency relationship to maximize value and effectiveness
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED TO QUALIFY FOR THE POSITION
- A bachelor’s degree or the combination of equivalent education and work experience
- Minimum 10 years of progressive marketing, communications, and/or public relations management experience (preferably with a number of years in a senior position)
- Strong supervisory skills; and leadership experience with demonstrated management abilities
- Marketing/public relations experience at a public television station or public media agency highly preferred
- Digital content experience also highly desired
COMPETENCIES NEEDED FOR SUCCESS IN THE POSITION
- Ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively
- Demonstrated experience in managing comprehensive strategic marketing, communications, media relations, event and brand management programs to advance an organization’s impact
- Ability to keenly analyze and review copy, graphics, social media and other marketing tools
- Understanding of the public media system
- Experienced with web content, digital content, social media and multi-platforms
- Exceptional verbal communication and written skills, with excellent editing and impeccable proofing skills
- Demonstrated success as a leader
- Strong project management ability
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe applications and other software. Use of on-line measurement tools such as CrowdTangle, traditional social media platforms and Google Analytics are important.
- Self-starting, goal-oriented, thorough and thoughtful, enthusiastic
- Strong executive functioning skills and is able to deliver prolific volume of strong work
- Demonstrates excellent judgment
- Understands that diversity, inclusion, equity and accessibility are fundamental to our organization
- Capable of engaging in 360 degree thinking
- A respected leader of staff
- A big picture thinker who understands the importance of details in execution
- Demonstrated successful interpersonal skills
- Resourceful and contributes strongly to a positive work culture