Application Deadline: Monday, Nov 01, 2021
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
This part-time (24 hours) position researches and reports on news events and public affairs in the Delaware Valley; provides special features and reports for use in broadcast and magazine programs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research writing for broadcast.
- Provide story ideas at morning news meeting.
- Develop and write stories, features and interviews.
- Perform editing, voice work and production of a piece.
- Coordinate and co-produce special projects.
- Cultivate new contacts with sources and news makers.
- Work closely with other reporters, sharing information and stories.
- Handle general assignment reporting as needed.
- Prepares stories for publishing on web.
- Take still photos and videos for web use.
- Work odd hours as news requires.
- Use social media to cultivate contact and promote work.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or the equivalent experience is required.
Experience: Two years of journalism and on-air broadcasting experience.
Software/ Technical Skills: This position must be computer literate; must have knowledge of writing, broadcasting, editing, voice work and production, and a familiarity with recording equipment.
Flexibility: Hours worked will vary depending on events. This position will report to WHYY’s Wilmington office, but will frequently travel throughout the state. On some occasions, this position will also report to WHYY’s Philadelphia newsroom.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.