Application Deadline: Sunday, Feb 28, 2021
Director of Development and Marketing
WCTE Central TN PBS, is a small regional public media organization located in Cookeville, Tennessee and serving a rural fourteen county area, known as the Upper Cumberland.
It is the only broadcast television station in a seventy-five mile radius of Cookeville, nestled in between Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga. The station went on the air as a state licensee in 1978 with a single analog signal. In 1989, the station was transferred to a community licensee and is governed by a local board of directors, the Upper Cumberland Broadcast Council.
This award-winning station is recognized nationally, regionally and locally as a full service PBS member with a strong emphasis on locally created content; education; public safety; and a national conduit for independent producers.
WCTE currently has multiple series in national distribution, including Bluegrass Underground; Barnegie Hall; Jammin’ at Hippie Jack’s, The Smithville Fiddlers Jamboree and Songwriting with Soldiers
The station hosts four channels: WCTE 22.1 HD; WCTE Create 22.2; WCTE World 22.3 and WCTE PBS KIDS 22.4. In addition to the 800 ft. broadcast tower located on WCTE’s transmitter site, is a 300 ft. tower and a building dedicated to emergency services and public safety for Putnam County and the Upper Cumberland region. WCTE also hosts a second studio for emergency communications in the Putnam County Emergency Operations Center.
WCTE is located in the Nashville DMA and currently focuses on the Central Tennessee area, although the signal reaches 1.3 million viewers throughout central Tennessee and southern Kentucky with over- the-air broadcast, cable and satellite services. WCTE is on YouTube TV and also offers a WCTE App and two streaming channels with WCTE Main and WCTE Create (coming in March 2021). Through the expanded use of digital content and online funding campaigns, the goal is to reach more fully outside of our current demographic.
The Director of Development and Marketing is responsible for creating a collaborative team based approach that will effectively manage all private sector fund raising for WCTE. The Director designs, implements, and manages all fund raising activities including annual giving, endowment and capital campaign, corporate underwriting, grant-writing and specific fund raising special events. The Director of Development and Marketing is also responsible for collaboratively coordinating promotion and station marketing.
The Director serves as part of the WCTE Leadership Team and brings to WCTE’s collective work: Successful fund raising; partnership coordination with area businesses, industries, municipalities, station members and community groups; the ability to professionally represent WCTE at a considerable range of community events and take a leadership role in speaking for the station on air and in public. The Director of Development and Marketing will uphold and promote the values of WCTE and PBS internally and externally, and reports directly to the Station Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The Director of Development and Marketing requires the ability to lead and manage all aspects of the work: including setting and reaching fundraising goals; timelines; budgets and cost projections; grant writing; & communication with key stakeholders. The Director must possess good judgement; strong written and verbal communication skills; administrative and organizational skills; the ability to balance multiple priorities, while leading a team on projects from conception to completion; and serve as the public face for development and marketing on behalf of WCTE and the President / CEO.
- Manages WCTE Strategies and Activities for All Levels of Giving: Annual Giving; Planned Giving; and Major Giving, which includes donor cultivation, solicitation and relations.
- Directs & Manages WCTE Corporate and Special Event Underwriting: Work collaboratively with team members and cross departments for successful corporate gifts and fund raising events including, but not limited to the WCTE Annual Dinner, WCTE Downtown Film Festival and WCTE Great TV Auction.
- Team Building & Community Relations: Build and maintain a collaborative team to facilitate work in fund raising and marketing, while creating and maintaining partnerships with key stakeholders on a local, regional and national level.
- Department Management: Develop & meet budget expectations; maintain department inventory & filing system; oversee the management of databases and all records, files and gift processing.
- Grant Writing / Reporting: Researches and develops grant proposals for foundations and corporations, individually and cross departmentally.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Ability to create and manage a strategic development and marketing plan with budget.
- Must be able to communicate well in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in demanding surroundings.
- Skilled in providing leadership in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to think clearly, manage multiple changing priorities, and remain pleasant and positive.
- Requires critical thinking and ability to support people with difficult challenges.
- Ability to apply good judgment, and make sound decisions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- College degree or equivalent; 6 – 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced in managing and implementing techniques for membership solicitation, on-air fundraising, and major gifts.
SALARY and BENEFITS:
Salary range is available upon request and will be commensurate with experience. Full benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and AFLAC, as well as Vacation, Sick Time, and Holidays.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and three professional references to:
WCTE Central TN PBS
PO Box 2040
Cookeville, TN 38502
NO PHONE CALLS
Please visit www.wcte.org for more information
WCTE is an Equal Opportunity Employer