Application Deadline: Saturday, May 01, 2021
ASPEN PUBLIC RADIO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Lead a solid, growing, public media organization in one of the most awe-inspiring and world-renowned culturally rich areas of the country – the heart of the snow-capped Rocky Mountains. Home to many organizations and internationally known festivals such as The Aspen Institute, Ideas Festival, Aspen Music Festival, and School, Aspen Film Festival, Rocky Mountain Institute, Aspen Center for Environmental Studies, and The Wheeler Opera House. The area features gourmet dining, art galleries, an airport, and hundreds of miles of hiking, biking, camping, climbing, skiing, kayaking, rafting, and world-class fly fishing, as well as one of the most photographed parts of the country; The Maroon Bells mountain peaks. Our service area is Aspen to Glenwood Springs; Rifle to Eagle.
The Executive Director leads and oversees all aspects of Aspen Public Radio’s operations, making certain that Aspen Public Radio achieves its financial objectives while ensuring that effective execution of its long-range strategy enables the organization to operate at the forefront of innovation and relevance in public media in service to the Roaring Fork Valley. Additionally, the Executive Director will serve as Aspen Public Radio’s primary spokesperson and fundraiser while taking a leadership role relating to major national public media entities and on state and national issues relative to public media.
Who We Are Looking For:
We seek a sharp, curious, hard-working, team-oriented community member who is excited by new media ideas, experimenting, and helping to design and grow an evolving organization through audio and digital storytelling. This person is a multitasker, able to work on long-range planning and daily business operations simultaneously. This person enjoys working with supporters and building transformative relationships with National Council members, increasing and maintaining strong financial support for the organization. This person cares deeply about leading staff in connecting with the community in a way that continually improves our public service through journalism, relationships, and partnerships.
- Hire, manage, assess, promote, retain and lead staff, maintaining a top-tier, closely-knit team that creates and delivers quality programming throughout the Roaring Fork Valley on all formats that can attract a significant audience.
- Provide strong operational and visionary leadership to the team by affirming existing processes and measures, setting clear priorities, and accomplishing stretch objectives through teamwork, collaboration, and systems of accountability.
- Serve as the business manager of the organization.
- Expand the donor base with new programming and engagement in accordance with the station’s strategic plan and within a sustainable board-approved budget.
- Be a forceful and effective fundraiser with the ability to lead a future multimillion-dollar capital campaign, in addition to cultivating prospects for transformative annual and planned gifts.
- Communicate a clear vision for Aspen Public Radio to employees, the board, partners, donors, and other constituents, enhancing the organization’s credibility with all key stakeholders and the public media industry at large, as well as the communities served.
- Build upon the existing environment of innovation and collaboration; continue to support and encourage open communication, creativity, strong work ethics and imagination while engendering a team spirit in solving problems and optimizing new business opportunities.
- Be actively engaged in partnering with the Governance Committee and the Chair of the Board to advise on Board leadership and to provide administrative support to the board, and working to draw the best out of each director.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressive experience in management, including leadership and effective management of staff.
- Proven strong time management skills; ability to meet multiple, simultaneous deadlines of various timetables.
- Some work directly with major donors.
- Knowledge of Western Slope Colorado and issues of the West.
- Deep understanding of the purpose and mission of public media.
- Public media work experience.
- Experience with/knowledge of small station/non-profit operations.
- Demonstrated team-building experience.
- Human resources and budgeting experience.
- Interacting with/reporting to a board.
- Experience planning and implementing comprehensive fundraising strategies.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Executive Director in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
This is a full-time salaried position office position, reporting to the Chair of the Board of Directors, requiring availability for weekend, day, and evening events/fundraising. Full-year residence in Aspen or downvalley communities is required. A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position. If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form.
Aspen Public Radio offers full-time staff benefits, including employer-paid health insurance, 403(b) match, life/disability insurance, and paid vacation. Relocation stipend available. Bus and ski pass financing and shared passes to world-class events such as the Aspen Film Festival, Aspen Institute Ideas Festival, and Classical Music Festival are available. This position is based at our Aspen, CO studios (currently remote working due to COVID-19.) Salary range is $110,000 – $140,000 (est.) annually. Position opened until filled.
Aspen Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.